Monday 14 July 2014

Being a writer

    Sometime a few years ago, I wrote my first story.
    It was not very long, not very imaginative, and, I admit, not very good. It never got published on the web.
    A while later, I frowned upon that earlier story and started writing another one. I called it Lymphocyte and it was the story of a white blood cell, but I didn't like that one either and I never wrote or published more than the first chapter.
    After a long time, I got inspired by the book series Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda and wrote another story, the Diary. Again, I didn't write or publish more than the first chapter.
    Soon, I thought of a landscape that I saw in a dream. I got an idea for a story and if I had written more than the first chapter it would have turned into a mess.
    So these are four stories that I started on but didn't finish. What made me stop writing them? I think that I just didn't like what I had and what I planned ahead. None of these stories were perfect for me.
    Sometime more recently, I started birdwatching after I moved to the Central Coast. I wouldn't consider myself a birdwatcher, but in the Central Coast It's impossible to resist! There are all kinds of birds!
    One thing that any birdwatcher notices is their behaviour. I have seen kookaburras fly away from their perches for seemingly no reason and ground-swallows(the name of a type of Australian swallow) fly close to the ground in open fields at only a few times of day.
    So I got inspiration for a story called The Battle In The Hills, which I posted on Lyra's Letters. It is the first complete story I ever wrote and I was sticking mostly to the idea. This shows that all you need to write a fiction story is a little inspiration.
    And as I write another story that I will put in Lyra's Letters, I don't have to do a lot of work, because the story is writing itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment