Thursday 14 May 2015

A job to be done

Jobs are the force which drives the entire economy (Actually, it's more directly money, but jobs are more interesting and an article about money is likely to be one-sided). It is one of the most efficient ways of managing the system, for everybody gets to work on what they want and live where they want (to a point, of course!) and not everybody is working to make rich guys even richer than they already are.

Besides, if you work hard enough, you are likely to get your dream job. And just remember that, even in the capitalist system, money is not happiness. My father worked hard to get a job as a scientist, despite science not being an industry with a lot of money in it. He is now a physicist, and should be much less happy if he worked as, say, a doctor, despite the amount of work it took to be a physicist.

You know about the DiSC charts that are used to determine four types of people? The assessment was first used by psychologist W. M. Marston.  The borderlines: if the subject perceived oneself as more or less powerful than their environment, and if the subject perceived the environment as favorable or not. There are four possible combinations:
 
Dominance
Perceives oneself as more powerful than the environment, and perceives the environment as unfavorable.
 
Submission
Perceives oneself as less powerful than the environment, and perceives the environment as unfavorable.
 
Inducement
Perceives oneself as more powerful than the environment, and perceives the environment as favorable.
 
Compliance
Perceives oneself as less powerful than the environment, and perceives the environment as favorable.
 
I think the DISC assessment, as well as helping people work together as it is commonly used for, could also be used for determining which kind of jobs people could be good at. "C" people, like my brother, see small details and that could be useful for a science job. "I" people are the most common type, and there are many different kinds of "I" people. A high amount of "S" people are working class and don't exactly have a dream job. I am a "D" person and I want to be a tour guide when I grow up. All of these personality types have their pros and cons, and everybody has a little of each personality.

Every person has a job unless they are young, old, or in big trouble. Since I will be doing a job for a long time, around forty years, I need to choose a job I like. And if I choose wisely, I won't even have to work very much; their job will be my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment